The Birth of a Steampunk Tale

Let me ask you for some perspective.

I’ll be honest from the start, my book sales are barely that of a part-time job. I make more than a babysitter but less than someone who works 16 hours a week at minimum wage. Obviously, I know I’m not a best-seller. I do, however, have several acquaintances who take it upon themselves to try to use my Facebook wall as a springboard for their own fame (be it musician, political writer, or what have you). None of them are close friends (nor can they or their family read this). What is the reasonable action to take? Nothing? Unfriending? Blocking?

Advertisements

4 responses

  1. Lately I realized that many of the ‘friends’ I had on FB were at best, annoying, and at their worst, just playing offensive. Why I ever friended them in the first place escapes me. Just because I attended high school or college with them or worked with them suddenly became a very poor reason to call them my fb friends. I also realized that I didn’t really want most of what they were saying to be spoken into my life. I have better things to do. Jeremy, I realize it is not the same issue as what you are dealing with when I say this, but I went through my ‘friends’ and reduced it by 75%. The remaining 25% are family, friends, and people like yourself who have something worthwhile to say. I think you have better things to do also. It’s time to lose some of those ‘friends’.

    Regarding writing as a career…I admire your efforts and your obvious passion. I hope you continue as long as it is in your heart to do so. Psalm 75:6-7 KJV / Col. 3:23 Your determination is an inspiration to me.

    Dale King

    February 7, 2012 at 11:15 PM

    • Actually, there are times when I’m dealing with that exact same thing. The same people promoting themselves are the same ones who seem to enjoy pointless quarrels. And you’re right, I really don’t have time for it. The reason I posted this was for feedback exactly like this, because I struggle with wondering, “Am I unfriending these people because they’re a pain, or because I think I’m too good for them?” I appreciate you taking the time to give me an honest answer.

      February 7, 2012 at 11:50 PM

  2. DavidW

    Ask friends to troll the posts that they make on your wall. Then, you go in there and ask them to stop using your wall for pointless arguments and delete said posts. As an added bonus, you get the joy of witnessing a flamewar (provided the hired troll knows his stuff). Make your wall a hostile place for those who would use it as a springboard to fame!

    Just so you know, I volunteer to troll any posts that you need trolled. 😛

    February 7, 2012 at 11:31 PM

    • HA! It’s so tempting. I’m afraid I’d feel like I had caused a bunch of people to waste their time, though.

      February 7, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s